Mathematics is an interconnected subject in which pupils need to be able to move fluently between mathematical ideas. As an academy we merge and adopt the Singapore and Shanghai approach to maths through the use of high quality textbooks (Power Maths) and Same Day Intervention.
The textbooks, which run from Reception - Y6:
- Are accessible and introduce concepts in a highly scaffolded way, enabling all children to develop critical thinking skills, make mathematical connections and become confident mathematicians;
- Are built on a concrete - pictorial - abstract approach, ensuring secure foundations and deep understanding of mathematical concepts;
- Support an exciting growth mind-set and problem solving approach to help spark a curiosity and excitement for maths and equip children with deeper understanding;
- Are written specifically for UK curriculum classrooms by leading mastery experts from around the world and recommended by the UK’s Department for Education;
- Offer an enriched approach that cleverly combines interactive teaching tools, rich and quality textbooks and practice books;
- Are fully aligned to the National Curriculum and are recommended by the DFE.
The materials below and the links within this text are from Oxford Owl Maths and are free for parents to access. These resources are designed to support you with your children’s maths throughout their primary years. You’ll find a whole host of activities, simple ideas, top tips and eBooks to help your child with their maths at home.
There are lots of ways to help to build your child’s confidence in maths. There are many fun games and activities you can do with your child that practise maths skills. Most children love playing games and it’s an easy way to support their learning.
Our approach to the curriculum is that we fully follow the UK primary national curriculum, furthermore as an academy we further enhance this through enrichment weeks and a wider range of opportunities for children.
At Outwood Primary Park Hill, all children follow a broad and balanced curriculum.
In all aspects of children’s work, we expect a positive attitude to learning, high standards and maximum effort. We strive to provide variety, excitement and stimulating experiences to make learning enjoyable, memorable and fun.
The following links will provide you the topics that will be visited by each year group this academic year.